Healthy Homes Guarantee Act
This bill has now been passed and will require rental properties to be warm, dry and well ventilated.
The Healthy Homes Guarantee Bill has passed in parliament. The objectives of creating warm, dry healthy homes are widely known but most of the details are yet to be decided by the new government.
The bill, known as the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act (HHG), will have minimum standards for insulation, heating, ventilation and drainage for all rental properties.
Our recommendation - be prepared!
Contact us today to make sure your rental properties comply - we'll provide you with a detailed assessment and quote, and let you know what finance options are available.
We give free advice, quotes and finance solutions for home insulation.
Hate filling in forms? Call us direct 0800 888 766
We answer 24 hours, 7 days a week so call us anytime.
What we know about the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act:
- The new bill amends the Residential Tenancies Act 1986.
- It aims to ensure that every rental home in New Zealand meets minimum standards of heating and insulation.
- It will take effect in all new tenancies (or variations) from 1 July 2019. For tenancies commenced before 1 July 2019 then the property must comply by 1 July 2024 at the latest.
- It will have minimum standards for insulation, heating, ventilation and drainage - the "healthy home standards"
- New lease agreements (or variations) will have to include a statement "made and signed by the landlord" that they will comply with the healthy homes standards.
Yet to be decided:
- What are the Healthy Homes Standards? A consultation process over the next 18 months will establish the new minimum standards and will involve tenants, landlords, industry, public health and building science professionals. Insulation and clean heating are most likely but what beyond that is unknown.
- What amount of insulation will be required? There has been much discussion about the level of insulation required under the last government's amendment which was less than the minimum required under the building code.
Reasons for the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act
The Human Cost
"40,000 children a year are admitted to hospital due to diseases are related to poor housing, and 1,600 New Zealanders’ lives a cut short by illnesses caused by living in cold, damp conditions. This has to change."Hon Phil Twyford, Housing Minister
"REINZ welcomes the principles behind the Healthy Homes Guarantee as there is no denying that there are significant pockets of New Zealand’s housing stock that are below par by world standards."Bindi Norwell, Chief Executive REINZ, Chief Executive REINZ
Health & Safety
Until now, rental properties have been treated differently from other products. A butcher isn’t allowed to sell meat that will make their customers sick, but a landlord has allowed to rent out a house that is too cold, or damp and damages the health of its occupants.Hon Phil Twyford,
More reading on finance options and heat pumps
Smart Energy Solutions Ltd has not specific knowledge of the upcoming grants and the information on this page has been compiled from publicly available information on news, government and political websites. It was correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of writing.