Residential Tenancies Act (RTA)

The new Residential Tenancies Act is making insulation mandatory. Working smoke alarms and a Statement of Insulation in new leases are already compulsory regulations so act now.

RTA Implications for landlords

Insulating your rental property is worth the investment and new regulations to the Residential Tenancies Amendment (RTA) are making insulation and smoke alarms mandatory.

A key new requirement is for a landlord to provide a Statement of Insulation which details existing insulation levels in the property. It is mandatory to include a formal Statement of Insulation in every lease written since 1 July 2016.

What can we do to help?

You'll need a Statement of Insulation

We’ll help check if your rentals meet the new insulation requirements for insulation and smoke alarms and provide you with a Statement of Insulation for only $49 per property (refundable after purchase).

We will make it easy for you, we will:

  • Coordinate assessments and installations with your tenants.
  • Check your rental properties for insulation and advise if already insulated home is to standard.
  • Provide a quote for properties that are not to standard to install necessary insulation using EECA approved products.
  • Complete an operational test of any installed smoke alarms (& supply and install 10 year long-life photoelectric smoke alarms if required).
  • Help you with any EECA or Council paperwork if you want to take advantage of subsidies or pay off the cost via the property’s rates (only available in some regions).
  • Provide you with a Statement of Insulation.

PLUS if you get your insulation installed by us, we will refund you the $49 Statement of Insulation cost and give you a FREE long-life smoke alarm. Don't delay - contact us today and to get a Statement of Insulation for your rental properties.

Download your free Landlords Guide to the Residential Tenancies Act

Find out more about the Residential Tenancies Act changes and insulation requirements by downloading the below Landlords Guide. It lets you know what the regulations are, insulation specifications, and you may even be eligible for 50% insulation subsidies if your tenants are eligible*.


We have Funding and Finance Options available.

We can offer 50% insulation funding* for eligible rental properties under the new EECA Warm Up New Zealand: Healthy Homes rental programme. If your tenants aren't eligible for EECA funding, we also have discounts and other payment options available (such as putting the costs onto your council rates - depending on region).

To make sure your properties are compliant, book to get your Statement of Insulation today - contact us on 0800 888 766 or book here. We can arrange with your tenant to visit your property and send you the paperwork.


What are the RTA requirements?

The new Residential Tenancies Act has some components which have now started.

JULY 2016 

  • New Tenancy Agreements must declare the level and type of ceiling, underfloor and wall insulation through a Statement of Insulation.
  • All tenanted properties must have working smoke alarms. Landlords will be responsible for ensuring an operational smoke alarm is in place, and tenants responsible for replacing batteries or notifying landlords of defects. Long life (10-year) photoelectric alarms will be required where there is no existing alarm or when replacing an existing alarm.

JULY 2019

  • All residential rental properties must have adequate ceiling and underfloor insulation (with specific exemptions, such as where ceiling/underfloor is inaccessible etc).

Don't wait to get your properties assessed as we have 50% insulation subsidies available for eligible properties NOW! We also can help with a range of other funding options so call us on 0800 888 766 or email us today.

What level of Insulation is required for my rental?

The level on insulation required depends on whether your property currently has any insulation or not and what condition the existing insulation is in.  

  • Existing insulation must be dry, in reasonable condition, with no gaps and meet a minimum requirement for ceilings of R1.9 level for timber framed homes or R1.5 for masonry homes. Equivalent underfloor insulation levels being R0.9 for all homes.
  • Currently uninsulated houses will need to insulate ceilings to either R2.9 or R3.3 depending on regional zone, and underfloor to R1.3.  

An insulated home improves the value of rental properties and limits maintenance issues associated with cold and damp. Protect your asset and your tenants' health and comfort - they will stay in your properties for longer, and your maintenance costs will be less.


What Smoke Alarms do I need?

You is also a requirement that you fit long-life photoelectric smoke alarms when replacing old ones or installing new ones. Read here about Smoke Alarm requirements here.

If you're not sure what your rental property needs - contact us today


Want to do it yourself? 

That's fine, we can point you in the right direction too. Have a look at our DIY Insulation Hints & Tips.