55% Underfloor Insulation Subsidies T&Cs apply
- Product description
- Product details
$22.90 per m2
More than 10% of the heat from your home can be lost through the floor so take the first step in insulating your underfloor today.
Underfloor insulation can reduce draughts as well as dampness as it can limit moisture from rising into the house from a wet or damp crawl space below. Limiting rising damp will create a warmer, drier room.
Contact us today to see what insulation subsidies and other funding options are available in your area.
The Best Underfloor Insulation
Some forms of insulation don't cope well with the damp conditions under your home and can sag after a period of time becoming less effective.
We have a range of high quality underfloor insulation options and are experts at crawling around under floors installing insulation quickly and safely to make your home warmer without fuss.
We can also let you know whether your home also needs a moisture barrier underfloor to avoid excess damp and where necessary can safely remove foil insulation that has lost it's effectiveness by being torn, tarnished, corroded or dusty before installing your insulation underfloor.
- Mammoth Polyester R1.5 Staple-in Underfloor Blanket
- Mammoth Polyester R1.8 Staple-in Underfloor Blanket
- Mammoth Polyester R1.8 Self-supporting Underfloor Sections
- Mammoth Polyester R1.4 NOVAfloor Underfloor Sections
- Moisture Barrier Polythene Sheet .25mm
- Underfloor Foil-removal service
Pricing "Installed From $22.90" is based on Mammoth R1.5 Staple-in Underfloor Blanket installed in properties within 50 km of nearest Smart Energy Solutions branch.
Finance & Funding
Save while you pay for underfloor insulation. Insulation is recognised as an important component of a healthy home and it lowers your heating costs. We have a range of financial options to make retrofitting underfloor insulation affordable now.
- EECA Insulation Subsidies
- Get Energy Efficiency Products on your Council Rates
- Q Card Finance
- Mortgage Top-Ups for energy efficiency products
5 questions & answers about this product
What R-Value is needed underfloor?
The thermal resistance value or R-Value required for underfloor insulation to meet the New Zealand Building Code is R-Value 1.3.
What types of underfloor insulation are there?
There is a range of underfloor insulation materials available each with their pros and cons.
- Polyester insulation sections: higher density sections that can be squeezed in between joists and are self-supporting without staples or straps. Polyester insulation is moisture resistant.
- Polyester insulation blanket: can be stapled snugly into position by professional installers. Stapling underfloor where there are live wires is dangerous for DIY installers.
- Fibreglass underfloor insulation: this material is low density and is used extensively in ceilings and floors but underfloor can be affected by the damp conditions.
- Foil insulation: was used extensively years ago for reducing radiant heat loss. It's effectiveness is lost when it is tarnished or corroded, collects dust or condensation, gets ripped or damaged. Due to risk of electrocution in working with a conductive material around electrical wiring - extreme care must be taken with installation. Installing foil insulation is not an accepted underfloor insulation option under the Residential Tenancies Act.
- Polystyrene underfloor insulation: these are rigid sections that have been used extensively in the past. The polystyrene must be isolated from TPS wiring for safety as it can be affected by the polystyrene material. Some forms claim to be self supporting but require tacks to hold them in place.
Do I need a ground moisture barrier?
If the ground underneath your home is regularly damp you should have a ground moisture barrier laid to avoid "rising damp" which can cause mould and unhealthy damp conditions in your home.
A ground moisture barrier is polythene sheeting which can be installed at the same time as your underfloor insulation. If your property is eligible for an EECA subsidy - it will cover this cost as well.
Is my under floor foil insulation any good?
Foil insulation was commonly used underfloor in the past and it does provide insulation from radiant heat loss but does not have an R-Value like bulk insulation. Existing foil insulation is only effective for radiant heat loss if it is intact (not ripped) and is neither dusty or tarnished.
If you do not already have underfloor insulation installed, foil insulation is not accepted as a solution under the Residential Tenancies Act.
How much access is needed to insulate underfloor?
Typically our dedicated installation team need at least 40cm height between the ground and the bearer to safely install your insulation. The access point from outside must similarly have at least 40cm height clearance. Areas with less clearance or badly littered with broken glass or debris may not be able to be insulated.
3 customer reviews
Salesman very informative, great price. Best part - already had it in the ceiling so got the underfloor done as well. All good, notice the difference and I have recommended Smart Energy Solutions to friends.Heather, Hawke's Bay
The three guys who installed the insulation were very efficient and also happy in their work. The underfloor installation would not have been very pleasant as there is not a lot of room under the house but the work was carried out cheerfully and efficiently. They installed polythene sheeting over the ground right through the length of the house and as the ground slopes up, leaving very little height space at one end, it could not have been a very pleasant job. Also attaching the underfloor blanket would not have been easy. I was very pleasantly surprised they were able to complete the whole area. I also love the quality of the insulation, both underfloor and in the ceiling, and am looking forward to a much warmer and drier house next winter.Sylvia, Auckland
The installation team went the extra yard to completely insulate the under floor area.Thomas, Otago
We give free advice, quotes and finance solutions for home insulation. For a limited time subsidies are available for both homeowners & landlords - T&Cs apply. Contact us and we'll let you know what you're entitled to and how we can help.
Hate filling in forms? Call us direct 0800 888 766
We answer 24 hours, 7 days a week so call us anytime.