07 June 2017
10 Smart Energy Solutions for Winter Heating
For chilly winter nights, here are 10 ideas that may help keep you warmer and reduce your heating bills.
- Trim trees blocking the sun: Maximise the amount of sunshine coming into your house in winter by trimming over-grown trees that are shading your house.
- Curtains as the sun goes down: Capture the heat of the sun by pulling curtains as you lose the sun. An insulated home will help you hold this free heat for longer.
- Block draughts: Add foam seals to doors and windows, make sure your curtains fit, use door draught stoppers and fit under-floor insulation where possible.
- Check your thermostat: Have you got the temperature on your heater set higher than you need? Each extra degree of heat is costing you money so lower the thermostat to a level you’re comfortable with.
- Dress for the season: It is winter so don’t heat to a level where you can lounge around in t-shirt & shorts. Put usual winter layers on and adjust your thermostat down to save money.
- Turn off half an hour before bedtime: If you switch your heat off (or programme it to turn off) half an hour before you head to bed, the residual heat will keep you warm.
- Throws for late night warmth: if you’re only planning on staying up for a couple of hours, keep a throw or blanket handy to curl up under instead of switching the heat on.
- Limit electric blankets for pre-warming only: Once you’re snug in a warm bed your duvet or blankets should be sufficient to conserve your body heat and keep you warm through the night. If you’re still cold perhaps a warmer duvet is in order.
- Check your Ceiling Insulation: Insulation can significantly reduce your need for heating and 30-35% of heat is lost through ceilings. If you’re already insulated you should check it hasn’t moved or settled as some types of insulation can over time. It should be sitting above the ceiling joists and if not “top-up” insulation is a good idea.
- Switch to a Heat Pump: A heat pump is the most energy efficient form of electric heating available producing 4kW of heat for each 1kW of electricity. A few local councils also let you pay off a heat pump via your rates (conditions apply).
Smart Energy Solutions gives free advice and quotes on insulation, ventilation and heat pumps for your home. Simply Book a FREE Home Assessment online or call 0800 888 766.